Sunday, October 14, 2007

MONTREAL BICYCLE THEFT, A PLAGUE WITH POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS?


Ever since I moved to the city I have been surprised on how the situation of bike theft is overwhelming. It seems that locking up your ride outside anywhere in Montreal comes with the understanding that it is not a question of if but when it will be stolen. This explains the numerous old bikes you see people riding around with and their relative high market value in the used bike business. I mean junk 3 speeds that wouldn't fetch $15 at a garage sale in the west island are sold for $100 and up as "vintage cruisers" on Craigslist and they actually DO sell! The fact that bikes are being stolen from a 3rd story balcony without any stairs to get there or that one of 5 tall bikes known to exist in Montreal gets it's lock cut and stolen says a lot about the gravity of the current situation. So I went out and talked to people, did some research and here's what I have come up with.

THE PROBLEM

Bikes are stolen everyday from all kinds of places and thieves are not picky about what they steal. Any ride is fair game. People really don't give a crap if someone is cutting your lock in broad day light and they know that. Most people don't report the loss because either they think the cops won't do anything about it or they don't even know the serial number on their bike. The bastards know that as well. Selling used bikes in Montreal is easy with all kinds of methods from a piece of paper on a post to an add on the web. There is a good market for used bikes in Montreal and the thieves know that too, they thrive on it. That particular part of the equation also brings to mind those of us who don't really mind paying someone cash for a bike that you know is worth a whole lot more. You're a part of the problem too. It has been reported in local media that stealing bikes can be very lucrative for any motivated individual. One number that was brought up last year in an article was $75 000 a year, tax free!

WHAT'S BEING DONE RIGHT NOW.

I was very surprised to learn that the local Police stations on the plateau are actively doing something about bike theft. Without revealing any details that would warn would be bike thieves, let's just say that there are quite a few sting operations during the summer. One of the comments that I noted from my source is that Police officers know their subjects very well and often intercept bike thieves while on patrol. However, often times they come across a known suspect on a bike they know is stolen and unfortunately cannot do anything since the serial number doesn't come up on the CRPQ registry (That's where the number ends up when you bother to report your bike stolen with the serial number). What is being done right now by the Montreal Police dept is by each local station reacting to local concerns. The SPVM should look into this problem as a serious objective for it's entire service very soon. Local neighborhood stations can only do so much. There has been some posts on Craiglslist by someone wanting to start some kind of citizen's watch to prevent bike theft, but replies to the ad from this author were never answered.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

The first thing you must do is lock that bike. If it's out of your sight, it should be locked, where ever it is. It's that simple. My bikes sleep indoors and I lock them, remember the 3rd story balcony story? Thieves are like any other predator, they go after easy prey. Know your bike's serial number and report it when it's stolen. You give those morons even more power when they know they can fence that bike without any problems. You can register your bike at
http://www.bikeregistrycanadafr.com/ for $10, but I am not sure that the guys and gals in blue here even know that it exist. What would be great would be a similar service offered for free by the City of Montreal. Especially since they pulled the plug on bike registration back in 1999. Talk to your elected City officials about it, I know I will. Lastly, don't buy a bike you even remotely think is stolen, hit those bastards where it hurts most: the wallet. Here's a simple document you can print and use right now to have your bikes info should the unthinkable happen.
WHAT'S NEXT?

I guess we will have to wait and see. This is not the type of thing that will be fixed by an overnight miracle. It needs a lot of work and the participation of all from the cop, to the politician and you. Your comments here are always welcomed and it's even more than true if you have some ideas that would help out. I have to go now and right down all my serial numbers somewhere. ;)

Ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brown Free Spirit was stolen last August. Today I spotted it one block away from my house. I run home to get the serial number and it turns out the bike is mine. I came back to my stolen friend, locked it with another lock, and wrote a note, requesting the new owner to contact me. Now, I’m waiting by the phone. Write down your serial number, kids!

Gerry Lauzon said...

Did you report it stolen to the authorities? If so called them before going any further.

Anonymous said...

I am in the same situation; I purchased a bicycle out of town, hauled it over here via bus, only to have to stolen a few weeks later, without even a chance of writing the serial down. Can I still report it now, 3 months after the fact? I only have a Craigslist "Stolen Bike" post as "evidence" that I ever owned it.

And now, I just spotted it barely 5 mins away from my house. I locked it with my lock and left a note. So far, still waiting for a call, wondering if they are hacking away at the lock. Any tips on how to proceed? What happened with you, Anonymous?

Anonymous said...

I was standing outside my house on Masson smoking a cigarette (yah, I know, I'm working on it) and this guy pedals over, it's about midnight by the way, and asked me if I want to buy a bike. He was shortish fracophone with a black leather jacket, thick accent, and the fleur de lis covering his back from shoulder to shoulder. I thought I should have confronted him but I would fear for my bikes then. What do you do in a situation like that? I reality I don't know that it was't his bike but come on!

Gerry Lauzon said...

Confronting the guy would not be a smart move. I would say that I'm not interested and let the dude move along.

Gerry :)

Mic. said...

my bike was stolen a few weeks ago. I usually bring it inside and lock it up in the basement of our apartment block, but after school I lock it up outside my aparment because I have a 2 hour break between school and work, then suddenly I needed to go to the Hospital for a Kidney stone forgetting my bike, then to ad pain to injury, the next morning my bike was gone.

I'm on the Plateau and have been on the hunt for my bike ever since, I still have yet to do a police report and no I never got the serial number down, I hate myself for not ever doing that, but I'm still keeping a eye open with thrift stores and bike shops... most bike shops are telling me that with this time of year, their not buying so either this guy is sitting on my bike till the spring or selling it to one of his buddies, although something tells me he who stole it knows a little about bikes. I owned a Giant Seek 2 and it's a flat grey with no flashy logo stickers on it, the only thing that makes it stick out are the disk brakes.

Either way, I think I'll make a report this week with the most information possible, I will soon move on and get myself a new bike but my girlfriend warns me to not get something as valuable as my previous bike, I dissagree, in the sense that I made the mistake of leaving it outside (one I'll never make again) and I will not lower myself and my taste because of a minority of low lifes have to ruin it for the rest of us.

I still believe that I have a good chance of finding my bike.

Gerry Lauzon said...

Good Luck Bro. I hope you find it.

Gerry

Natalia said...

Just out of curiousity, is it even worth reporting a bike if you don't even know the serial number? I bought a bike for $20 bucks from a person I knew whose wife didn't use it anymore. It wasn't even the right size for me really, so I didn't care much about it, and I spraypainted it a crazy bright red colour (partially to make it look uglier so it wouldn't get stolen). I never looked at the serial number. Should I bother reporting it?

Gerry Lauzon said...

Please do just for the sake of having decent stats. Unreported stolen bikes hide the real size of the problem.

Gerry

Antoine P said...

What if my bike doesn't have a serial number? I found a bare frame next to a trash can (one of the attachments for downtube shifters was missing, i guess that's enough to throw it away??) I built it up, but the serial number plate is missing. Could I engrave my own number? Is there a place where i can get a serial number plate attached?

Gerry Lauzon said...

You can definitely engrave your own serial number on the bike. Just get a Dremel like tool and an engraving bit and you are set. Some Police stations in Montreal have one and will gladly engrave it for free. Make sure you cover it with a clear coat like finger nail polish to avoid rust.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

Hey I had a bike stolen, and FOUND it on st. laurent about 4 months ago. I locked my own lock to it... its sitting there, rotting, except the frame which I love is fine. Is it possible to get it back? How would I do that? I would cut the guy's lock, but I don't have pliers, and don't want to get into trouble.

Gerry Lauzon said...

If you can positively ID the bike, I say contact your local Police station to find out what you can do. Stealing it back can be done, but be prepared to be able to have proof that it's yours. Still, I don't know what the ramifications are in that case.

Gerry

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm going to see a bike tomorrow which is pretty cheap for what it is. 300$ for a Norco CCX 1 form 2009.

Im thinking about checking it out and ask to the guy why is he selling it so cheap to see if he looks like he actually owns the bike.

What is your advice guys? thanks